Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Orange Tongue

08/10/2010

Question:

Hi, It`s been probably more than a month that I wake up in the mornings and I have an orange tongue. I don`t have any pain or any taste changes, but I have been coughing for more that 2 months already particularly at nights and we couldn`t determine the problem, I went to a doctor and he prescribed me an allergy medicine for two weeks it helped a little and I just finished it. I’m worried about my orange tongue. Please advise me what could cause that and what should I do.

Thank you.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The link below will connect you to that information.

Additionally, I discussed this with the Infectious Disease folks here, Attendings, Residents Fellows and Mycologists at our weekly case conference. The consensus is that it could be the result of a lot things, dyes in food, fungi/yeasts (Rhodotorula sp.) chromogenic bacteria, Orange crush, or popsicles, throat lozenges for cough/sore throat.

The main thing is that I am not aware of any major systemic illness (Addison’s disease the skin turns yellow/orange, Cirrhosis or hepatitis, or over dosage of Beta Carotene (carrot poisoning!).

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine