Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

One Big Mess!!



I have had neck pain off and on for over 20 years. There was never any accident involved. Recently I had a pretty bad bout of it. At the same time my right hip, which also has hurt some in the past, started hurting and at one point I could not put my weight on it. A few frightful moments later it was OK. Now my lower back has started to hurt so badly that I cannot stand to walk for very long at a time and the walking I do is bend over. The pain seems to move from one side of my back to the other and radiates around my groin area. I feel like I have been in a car accident with the neck/hip/back pain going on all at the same time. What kind of specialist should I see to be evaluated?


Hello, thank you for your question. Your options include asking your primary care doctor for a referral, or if your insurance plan allow you to go for a direct referral you could try a physiatrist (otherwise known as “rehab doc” or “PM&R” (which stands for physical medicine and rehabilitation). They aren’t necessarily common, so you may not have one in your community. Or, a pain management specialist (usually anesthesiologists). Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University