Lung diseases

Fluid Retention in Left Lung after Triple Byp

08/09/2010

Question:

My mom 79 had triple bypass 6/10/10 on 6/30/10 she had 875cc removed from left lung 3 weeks later 900cc were removed and 2 weeks later 8/4/10 1100cc removed this last time chest pain was the alerting factor which would come and go until fluid was removed , 2 days after surgery she went into kidney failure which she is now on dialysis 3 times a week, she is also on lasix. I would like to why this happening so often and what are the options.

Answer:

Water collecting in the left chest after bypass surgery is fairly common, although having so much that it has to be drained is a little less common. The amount may relate to the kidney failure which also leads to fluid buildup. We think it has something to do with the trauma to the drainage system with surgery but almost always goes away over the course of 6-12 months. 

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jeff E Weiland, MD Jeff E Weiland, MD
Associate Professor - Clinical
OSU Asthma Center