Pharmacy and Medications

Blood Pressure

08/20/2010

Question:

I take both Prazosin 2mg and Metoprolol Succ ER 50mg  each twice daily for high blood pressure. I have also been taking Advil (ibuprofen 200mg), about (3) 2-tablet doses a day for arthriris type aches and pains. I just read that  Advil can cancel out the Metoprolol. What would be my best alternative to the Advil as my blood pressure seems to has risen steadily since I started taking the Advil. I also have 2 - 3 drinks a day usually. Thanks.

Answer:

It is true that the use of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Agents (NSAIDs) such as Advil (ibuprofen) may decrease the effects of some antihypertensive agents including metoprolol. It is important that you talk with your doctor about this issue. Your doctor will know what is the best treatment for your “arthritis type aches and pains”. 

First-line treatment for osteoarthritis is Tylenol (acetaminophen). However, Tylenol is not recommended in people who drink 3 or more alcoholic beverages a day because the combination may increase the risk of developing liver disease.  Ask your doctor whether Tylenol is a reasonable option for you.  Your doctor may want to do some blood work to make sure your liver is healthy enough to use Tylenol.  Reducing your intake of alcohol may reduce your blood pressure and also help to reduce the risk of liver disease.

Your doctor is in the best position to make appropriate decisions about your continuing medical care. Make sure you provide him with accurate information. It is important that you talk with your doctor before you make any changes in your medications.

This response was prepared by David Jager, PharmD candidate at the University of Cincinnati College of Pharmacy.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Robert James Goetz, PharmD, DABAT
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice