COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Life Expectancy

My husband has lung cancer but is in remission for about a year. His emphysema is severe. He has lost about 50 pounds which I assume was due to the cancer treatments. Even though its been over a year since his last treatment (May 2009) he has not gained any of the weight back. 6`2" and weighs 130lbs. His appetite is good. He is on oxygen full time. set on 3. He has had lungs drained 3 times. Has had pnemonia . With these symptoms, what is the approximate life expectancy for him? age 83.

NetWellness receives many questions regarding prognosis and life expectancy for persons with COPD and emphysema. Although it is not possible to provide specific predictions in a forum such as this, you may find the following guidelines helpful in knowing what to expect.

Please accept our best wishes.

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep