COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Life Expectancy

08/10/2010

Question:

My husband has lung cancer but is in remission for about a year. His emphysema is severe. He has lost about 50 pounds which I assume was due to the cancer treatments. Even though its been over a year since his last treatment (May 2009) he has not gained any of the weight back. 6`2" and weighs 130lbs. His appetite is good. He is on oxygen full time. set on 3. He has had lungs drained 3 times. Has had pnemonia . With these symptoms, what is the approximate life expectancy for him? age 83.

Answer:

NetWellness receives many questions regarding prognosis and life expectancy for persons with COPD and emphysema. Although it is not possible to provide specific predictions in a forum such as this, you may find the following guidelines helpful in knowing what to expect.

Please accept our best wishes.

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep