Women's Health

Vulvar Dermatitis

08/23/2010

Question:

In May I went to my Gyn for what I thought was a yeaast infection. It was negative so he gave me clobetasol. Tried it for a week and the itching then turned to burning. When to a derm who said continue to use the hydrocortisone but now it was desonide. No help. Lichen sclersus biopsy negative. 3 months later I have terrible itching and burning on the introitus and the inner labia. The inner labia have white plaques on them. New gyno says "dermatits" and has started me on a 40 mgs Prednosone taper. Am ready to go on sick leave due to the itching and burning. Any ideas?

Answer:

If the new white plaques you are describing are truly new (not the same as what you had in May), then maybe a sample needs to be taken for histology, just to make sure it is not a lichen sclerosus or another entity that has now declared itself. Warm (not too hot) soaks/sitz baths sometimes relieves burning of that area. Bland moisturizers (even just a vaseline petroleum jelly) may sometimes help symptomatically reduce the burning. But the key is to make sure of the diagnosis.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center