Athletic Training

Hands Swell When I Go for My Walk

08/17/2010

Question:

When I go for a walk my hands swell up. Like they fill up with fluid. They swell so big that I can`t move my fingers. It takes about a half hour to go down. So I can`t go for a walk during my lunch break because my hands are so swollen I can`t move my fingers so I can`t type. Any one know what causes this and what I can do to prevent it? I would rather go for my walk on my lunch break then after work.

Answer:

It is not uncommon to see swelling in your hands with the dependent positioning that accompanies walking. This is usually more noticeable during the summer months with the increase in heat and humidity, which is, associated an increase in body temperatures. You did not mention if this problem is as pronounced in the winter months.

You may want to try to elevate your hands and open and close hands repetitively in short bursts. This will help to return extra fluid back to your core and away from hands when walking to see if that provides some relief. Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences