Urinary Disorders

Urine culture

10/25/2010

Question:

Hi,

I had a 40,000 cc colonization of Enterobacter aerogenes in a urine culture since mid May. I was treated with five days wirth of Levaquin 500 mg once in May and once in early June.

As of July 1, I still had the 40,000 cc colonization of this bacteeria. The urologist said we will hold on on antibiotics since I am building up a resistence and then repeat the culture in about a month. I just got the culture results yesterday and the bacteria is gone.

Is this possible that 40,000 cc colonization of Enterobacter aerogenes in a urine culture could be presnt one month and then disappear the next month without any further antibiotic treatment?

Thanks.

Answer:

It is possible that the bacteria could clear without further treatment. Your urologist's approach sounds reasonable. It is important to follow up with your urologist and report if you note any further symptoms.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology