Lung diseases

Cough, is it Asthma?

08/24/2010

Question:

i had to the urgent care last year and was diagnoised with phenomia the cough i get usaly lasts over a months and is a smokers cough witch is akward because i dont smoke and its like a dogs cough. my queshtions is should i get another inhaler after taking my prescription has recently has run out never being diagnoised with asthma, but every year they give me inhaler for the cough why cant they just let me get refills? my sister does have asthma after waiting for a month before i get the courage to go in i start to wheez.

Answer:

I would advise you to make an appointment to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician. Recurrent episodes of cough and wheezing could possibly represent asthma and if you are having episodes several times a year, you may need to be evaluated for therapy to prevent these episodes. In many situations, the use of medications to treat the symptoms alone (such as the one you were prescribed after your episode of pneumonia last year) may not be enough. For these reasons, simply providing refills without performing a thorough evaluation is not enough. Instead, you would benefit from a complete evaluation to determine if you need long-term management, other medications or additional testing to determine if your symptoms are related to other problems first.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep