Mouth Diseases

Typical Sensation in Mouth

08/23/2010

Question:

I have developed a sensation in mouth at "U" shape lining on the surface beneath the tongue. whenever I touch it with tip of my tongue I feel swelling and some time feel pain at this area. Kindly tell what I should do ? although I have shown it lots of ENT specialists they say it is due to acidity. Is it a BMS ? Kindly suggest remedy also.

Answer:

Although what you describe could be a form of BMS (burning mouth syndrome) and information about this condition will be attached, another possibility could be mild inflammation of the salivary (spit) gland tissue found in this area. This connection, though, would require additional questioning and careful examination of the area, which I obviously cannot do. Is there any relationship between when you feel the swelling/pain and mealtime or when you eat something? Have any of the ENT specialists been able to see physical evidence of swelling?

If the problem continues, I recommend that you seek a consultation with an oral and maxillofacial pathologist or an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (oral surgeon). These specialists are trained specifically to diagnose problems in the mouth, rather than the ears, nose and throat. In the meantime, I suggest that you try to drink at least 8 glasses of water or sugar-free, caffeine-free liquid daily and consider using sugar-free gum or sugar-free citrus candies to help with your saliva production and to help rinse out any irritants from your salivary glands.

Find an Oral Maxillofacial Pathologist Near You

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Burning Mouth Syndrome (AAOMP)

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration