COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

COPD

08/25/2010

Question:

My mother was a heavy smoker for years. She was diagnosed with COPD around 7 years ago. She is on oxygen all of the time, but is now having severe problems with carbon dioxide build up. She has been in the hospital for a week and the situation is not improving. There has also been a problem with her not wearing her oxygen and not always taking her meds. They are not talking about release, but I am getting little feedback. What should I prepare myself for. It appears that she is near the end of her life.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. We are very sorry to learn of your situation. The information we can provide about life expectancy and COPD is provided below and from your description, it sounds like your mother is reaching the end of life stages. Your question about how to prepare yourself would be best answered by a palliative care practitioner or hospice service. You could ask her care providers to speak with someone with this expertise.

Please accept our best wishes.

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep