Women's Health

Breast Lump in Young Female

09/01/2010

Question:

I am 24 years old and I recently found a lump in my right breast and went to my doctor. He scheduled an ultrasound and the results showed BIRADS 3 with most likely to be fibroadenoma. It is a solid mass, oval, and painless. However, they scheduled me for a core biopsy. I know other females who have only had ultrasounds and needed no further screening (who are around my age or were). Is this normal for a young person to have a biopsy and what is the likeliness that it could be a malignant tumor?

Answer:

According to the American College of Radiology, a BIRADS 3 score is assigned when "findings indicate a high probability of being benign; there are no suspicious lesions, masses, or calcifications to report, but follow-up to confirm that no cancer exists is recommended. This may be needed if your radiologist does not have your baseline or previous mammogram for comparison".

Most breast "lumps" -- over 80% -- are benign. Often, the physician will schedule a biopsy so that the probably can be changed to definitely. It sounds like your physician has ordered the biopsy to "confirm that no cancer exists". HowEver, you should discuss your concerns with your physician so that you are comfortable with the decision to have a biopsy.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

M Joyce Dienger, DNSc, RN
Assistant Professor of Nursing