Sarcoidosis

Sarcoidosis

09/02/2010

Question:

I was diagnosed with pulm/sarc May 08. predisone treatment..tapered down. trouble breathing since dec.09..lung xray shows normal....haven`t been able to get out of ac and i`ve missed seasons because of not being able to breathe well. i`ve had two serious nosebleeds in the back of my throat..heart beats funny...lots of body pain..what to do if your ace level is normal and your xray is normal but still have sob

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam - Sarcoidosis is a disease that affects the lungs in most cases, but also affects other organs. As for the lungs, many patients with sarcoidosis may have a normal chest x-ray, however, they cough or wheeze due to airway inflammation (much like asthma).

You mention that your "heart beats funny", which is concerning for possible involvement of the heart. Sarcoidosis can affect the heart in various ways, including abnormal electrical activity (e.g., rapid or irregular heartbeats, very slow heart rate, etc.), abnormal heart muscle function (cardiomyopathy) and high blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension) which can cause a strain on the heart. This can lead to shortness of breath, dizziness, palpitations, leg swelling, and other complications.

Finally, some patients with sarcoidosis are unable to exercise due to the aches and pains (joint and muscle inflammation can be caused by sarcoidosis) and simply get out of shape, which is another cause of shortness of breath. In view of the complex nature of sarcoidosis, I would strongly advise that you seek follow up with your doctor to carefully consider the cause of your symptoms.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine