Pulmonary Hypertension

Chronic Bronchitis and Pulmonary Hypertension

10/19/2010

Question:

WHAT IS THE BEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE TREATMENT OF PULMONARY HYPERTENSION IN CHRONIC BRONCHITIS PATIENTS. DOES SILDENAFIL WORK IN THIS CASE?. ALSO DOES NIFEDIPINE WORK ASSUMING THE PATIENT PASSED THE VASODILATOR CHALLENGE TEST DURING RIGHT HERAT CATH.ALSO, IS OXYGEN MOST EFFECTIVE?. I HAVE RESEARCHED SO MANY MATERIALS AND I HAVEN`T UNDERSTAND SPECIFICALLY THE BEST TREATMENT OPTION FOR THIS GROUP OF PATIENTS. PLESASE HELP! ALSO WHAT IS THE PROGNOSIS FOR SOMEONE WITH THESE TWO DIAGNOSES - CHRONIC BRONCHITIS AND PULMONARY ARTERY HYPERTENSION - 51MMHG IN AN ECHO.

Answer:

Echocardiogram is not a good way to diagnose pulmonary hypertension in chronic bronchitis. Also there are no good treatments for patients who have chronic bronchitis and develop pulmonary hypertension. Most patient will benefit from quitting cigarettes, regular exercise and oxygen therapy if needed. Neither Nifedipine or Sildenafil have been shown to have a benefit. 

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep