Pulmonary Fibrosis

Inflammation

09/09/2010

Question:

What can I take to control the inflamation that is not prescription? I take Aleve and I feel it is not working so good any more. I have had Pulmonary Firbrosis for about six years. I cannot take steroids.

Answer:

Inflammation outside of the lung (for example, in the joints from arthritis) can be controlled with a number of different medications. Your personal physician is in the best position to recommend or prescribe a specific anti-inflammatory drug based on the type of inflammation present, other medications that you are currently taking or other medical conditions that you have.

In the lung, inflammation can be a part of many different kinds of lung disease but the disease idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis actually has relatively little inflammation and so anti-inflammatory drugs often have little or no effect on the course of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. There are occasional patients in whom anti-inflammatory drugs have some benefit but these patients are generally the exception and not the rule.

Other drugs used in this situation include Imuran and Cytoxan. N-acetylcysteine is an anti-oxidant medication that appears to slow down the disease in some patients with pulmonary fibrosis. However, as with all medications used to treat serious diseases, they should be taken only after consultation with your physician in order to determine if they are right for you.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine