Kidney Diseases

Left Flank pain

09/07/2010

Question:

I have been in pain now almost 2years. It is in the flank of the Left and is deep. It is a dull ache that flucates in intensity. I have had an upper and lower GI, an ultrasound of the kidney (revealed an enlarged L renal vein), an abdominal CT scan (revealed excessive vein formation around my uterus), and a scan for my galbladder (functioning just below normal). I was recently given a diagnosis of IBS and put on Bentyl however Im not feeling much better. Can a renal vein enlargement cause this type of pain and can that vein eventually rupture?

Answer:

If most of the evaluation is negative and there is no good explanation for your left flank pain since 2 years, then the likely explanation for your pain is a condition called as Loin Pain Hematuria Syndrome. If you have hematuria (blood in urine, either microscopic or gross), then it further supports the above diagnosis. You should consult a nephrologist to evaluate this further.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Ganesh  Shidham, MD Ganesh Shidham, MD
Associate Professor of Nephrology