Kidney Diseases

Left Flank pain

I have been in pain now almost 2years. It is in the flank of the Left and is deep. It is a dull ache that flucates in intensity. I have had an upper and lower GI, an ultrasound of the kidney (revealed an enlarged L renal vein), an abdominal CT scan (revealed excessive vein formation around my uterus), and a scan for my galbladder (functioning just below normal). I was recently given a diagnosis of IBS and put on Bentyl however Im not feeling much better. Can a renal vein enlargement cause this type of pain and can that vein eventually rupture?

If most of the evaluation is negative and there is no good explanation for your left flank pain since 2 years, then the likely explanation for your pain is a condition called as Loin Pain Hematuria Syndrome. If you have hematuria (blood in urine, either microscopic or gross), then it further supports the above diagnosis. You should consult a nephrologist to evaluate this further.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Ganesh  Shidham, MD Ganesh Shidham, MD
Associate Professor of Nephrology