Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Inside of Cheeks Swelling

09/08/2010

Question:

Whenever I eat, the inside of my cheeks swell a lot - doesn`t matter what the food is. If it was one food I would think allergy - but it`s all food, fruit, veggies, meat, everything. As soon as I done eating, the swelling goes away.

Answer:

The swelling is caused by the production of saliva, which is stimulated during eating. It sounds as if you are producing more saliva when you are eating than you are able to pass through the saliva ducts in the mouth. This could indicate a possible partial blockage of the ducts. You did not state if this has always happened to you or if it has just started happening.

Visit your dentist and have the dentist examine your salivary glands to see if there is an obvious problem. If no problem is found, ask to be referred to an oral pathologist to see if they can find a reason for this to keep occurring.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry