Mouth Diseases

White Ball Under Tongue

09/20/2010

Question:

I have a white ball under my tongue, it does not hurt, its been there for a couple years maybe 2-3 years, i can touch it and its hard, like really hard. I want it out because im a little worried but what can this be?

Answer:

First off has you dentist or primary care provider observed this? If not, you really should have it evaluated for a better clue of what it might be.

Most likely the white hard ball under your tongue is a sialolith or other form of calcification that can occur in a salivary duct. If it is on the floor of the mouth, it may be related to one of the major glands (sub-mandibular or lingual) but is probably related to one of the many minor. It also could be a small fibroma, but those have a tendency to feel rubbery and not give the impression of a “pearl” that is under the tissue.

How large is it? (Size of a BB or bigger?) Is it fixed in place or can you roll it around? Because of the fact that I am only speculating what it is, you really should have it examined to rule out other possibilities.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine