Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Excessive Oral Bony Growths

09/15/2010

Question:

I am a dental hygienist, and have encountered a pt.who continues to present with a dry mouth and an abundance of bony growths in the oral cavity. We are talking exostosis, maxillary and mandibular, mandibular tori and palatal torus. These growths are visibly larger at each 6 mo. Check up. He pt. Now mplains of migraine, an cannot open her jaw fully. She is in constant pain in her lower jaw. A referral to an oral surgeon stated arthritis. Is there a connection with these symptoms and any systemic disorders I might investgate? Gardners syndrome came to mind, but my pt.is 45 years of age and it is my understanding that gardners syndrome has a life expectancy of 35-45.

Answer:

Some people will develop rather prominent exostoses and tori, and the pain issue could be unrelated.
Given the limited amount of information that is provided, it is impossible to say what this represents. It would probably be appropriate to refer this woman to an oral pathologist for further evaluation.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology