Pulmonary Hypertension

Swimming and Pulmonary Hypertension

10/19/2010

Question:

I`m a 54 year female and did an echocardiogram because of fatigue and shortness of breath. The result came back normal except for mild TR after excercise. my pulmonary pressure PA and PV were 27. I was told this is a bit high. I`ve noticed when I`m stressed out I tend to hold my breathe and I`m not inhaling and exhaling properly. could this cause an increase in pulmonary pressure. Can I continue to do excercise as in swimming or is it best not to over do it. I`ve always been healthy and this sort of scares me. Is there any way to lower the pressure? I really would appreciate an answer. thank you.

Answer:

There can be many different reasons for your fatigue including pulmonary hypertension. The diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension is made by a cardiac catheterization. So based on the data you present, it is hard to say if you have pulmonary hypertension. I would encourage you to discuss the echocardiogram results with your physician and get his advice on optimal exercise. In general we encourage our patients with pulmonary hypertension to maintain a modest exercise and activity level.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep