Eye and Vision Care

Large Pupils

09/21/2010

Question:

Since birth my 3 year old daughter has had considerably larger pupils than other kids and adults. They constantly look dilated. She seems to have no trouble seeing and can distinguish differences in colors and distances easily. Is there any reason for concern?

Answer:

Your daughter's pupil size is most likely not a problem as she has had large pupils since she was born. People come in all shapes and sizes and just as with other body parts pupil size can vary. Your daughter most likely has large pupils. Children do tend to have larger pupils than adults so it is not a problem that her pupils are large.

If you are still not certain, I would recommend an eye exam by an eye doctor who is willing to exam children. We are capable of doing a thorough eye exam including a prescription determination, even for a three year old.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry