Mouth Diseases

Mouth

09/28/2010

Question:

I have noticed a numbing feeling at the back of my mouth and also have notice clear like tiny blisters on the roof of my mouth going to the top of my throat. This is annoying but not painful. I also have alot of phlem.

Answer:

Without actually seeing what you are describing I can only suggest the possibilities of what may be occurring. Small blister or vesicles on the posterior aspect of the throat and palate may be nothing more than inflamed minor salivary glands or depending on the morphology and your previous exposures could be an HSV infection. HSV tough is usually a lot more painful and annoying; they appear after some form of prodromal symptoms (tingling, numbness, weird feeling at the site the lesions occur at) Therefore this very likely could be a minor expression of the virus. Post nasal drip and or phlegm could be the result of seasonal allergies an thus the irritated minor glands or another symptom associated with the viral infection.

I would suggest if you are concerned or the lesions worsen or don’t resolve to have your primary care provider or dentist evaluate the problem.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine