Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Palate Infection

09/21/2010

Question:

I have a health concern with the roof of my mouth. The roof of my mouth (palate) gets small pimples and mucous after I eat or drink. They go away shortly after. It  does not hurt when the pimples surface or go away and I can not see them in the mirror but can feel them with my tongue.The pimples or spots leave what feels like small scars but no bleeding accurs at all. What feels like scarring does not last long either. When I drink a heavy alcholic beaverage the pimples do not appear at all nor does the mucous. The condition came about after some one played a prank on me by placing my tooth brush in toilet. What is this condition called and what can I take to get rid of this problem?

Answer:

From your description it is not possible to make a diagnosis. You need to visit your dentist and have your palate examined. It is possible that you could have acquired an infection of some sort from the prank your friend played on you. However, the symptoms that you describe are not consistent with an infection. Your dentist will be able to examine your mouth, make a diagnosis, or refer you to a specialist who will be able to diagnose your problem.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry