Pharmacy and Medications

Pain Medication during Pregnancy

09/30/2010

Question:

I have had to take Pain Medication during my pregnancy. I only had to take 1 to 2 a day as needed for pain. I am concerned my baby will have withdrawl. I have not taken any for 3 weeks & I am not due for another 3 weeks. So I hope she will be ok. Please help me out. Thanks

Answer:

Thank you for contacting NetWellness. Sorry to know that you had to take pain medication. To answer your question, we need to know what exact pain medication that you are taking. Tylenol (or acetaminophen) is generally safe for use during pregnancy as long as you use in recommended doses. However, Motrin (or generic ibuprofen) and other NSAIDs such as Advil or Aleve (naproxen) should be avoided during the last 3 months of pregnancy. Of course, Opiod pain medications such as Vicodin or Percocet should be avoided during the whole pregnancy because they may produce physical dependence in newborn babies. 

You should always talk to your doctor or your pharmacist about any medications that you are using during pregnancy. Good luck and I wish you have a healthy baby!

Submitted by Bingsheng Liu
PharmD Candidate
The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Carmen M Hadley, RPh, CSPI
Clinical Instructor
College of Pharmacy