Mouth Diseases

Enlarged Red Bump on Back of Tongue

09/28/2010

Question:

I have a red bump on back of tongue and I feel as though I have something caught in my throat.. my throat feels sore.. I started off 4 weeks ago with a cold and sinus infection.. took a z-pack and then a week later was given 3 prednisone pills to take for 3 days.. a few days after that my throat started feeling again.. and noticed the red bump and the feeling of something stuck in my throat when swallowing.. what does this mean and how do I get rid of it?

Answer:

It would be impossible to say what this was without doing a complete examination.  You may want to see an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor; however, it sounds like burning mouth syndrome. We've had a few patients with BMS who also had the sensation of "lump in the throat". You will find more information about this condition at the links below. Best wishes!  

Our Answer Policy

Burning Mouth / Burning Tongue Syndrome (American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology)
Burning Mouth Syndrome

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology