Eye and Vision Care

Fluorescent Lights and Dry Eyes

09/30/2010

Question:

I have dry eyes caused by my rheumatoid arthritis. I use over the counter eye drops and they have worked for many years. Now I find if I go any where with fluorescent lights I get the burning and the itching back again and the drops don`t help. I work in an office and that is all they have and I also wear glasses. Is there any thing that I can do for this? I spend most of my day at work rubbing my eyes because they are burning and itchy.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. I recommend scheduling an appointment with your eye care provider. He or she may be able to make some recommendations (i.e. special tints incorporated into the lenses of your glasses that may decrease the sensitivity to the fluorescent lighting).

Your eye care provider may also be able to make some recommendations regarding eye drops you may use to treat and manage the current symptoms of burning and itchiness you are experiencing.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry