Mouth Diseases

Tongue Biting (While Drinking)

10/07/2010

Question:

I normally bite the side of my tongue on purpose while drinking especially when I am really thristy. It somehow made me feel that the water I am drinking is more nicer and I am not used to swallowing fluids without biting my tongue first.

I tried asking a few person but they don`t do it. The internet doesn`t show much about this either. Is this only a bad habit or is it something else?

Thanks.

Answer:

This is a very interesting case, and not easily answered.

I can not identify any physiological or oral pathologies that would be associated or cause facilitating drinking water by biting the tongue. That is why I am asking the questions about time and potential events that this behavior may be related to.

I don’t understand the term “more nicer,” does that mean that without biting your tongue you have difficulty swallowing or does the water have an offending taste?

During my oral medicine training we examined both the physical signs and symptoms of our patients as well as the psychological and behavioral aspects of the patient’s complaint (Axis I and Axis II). Therefore that is why our department of oral medicine had trained clinical psychologists as part of the department, in order to address issues in behavior or symptoms that could not be explained by physical examination or laboratory findings (Somatoform Disorders).

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine