Dental and Oral Health Center

Surgery for Sleep Apnea

09/28/2010

Question:

I have sleep apnea and I read that surgery can sometimes cure it. How would a doctor know it’s the right option for me?

Answer:

Hello, The doctor would first evaluate the severity of sleep apnea and previous treatments you might have (like CPAP) had. Also the surgeon would get X-rays or CT scans to examine the size of airway, your jaw size, or if you have an abnormality in the nose. Based on these examinations, he would appropriately suggest if you would require surgery and if so, the type of surgery. However the type of surgery is usually based on the severity of sleep apnea and your jaw deformity. For example; if you have moderate to severe sleep apnea, you will benefit from jaw advancement surgery with a cure rate of up to 97% and patients usually do not have to use their CPAP again. Best Wishes

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Rajesh  Gutta, BDS Rajesh Gutta, BDS
Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery