Dental and Oral Health Center

Dentist Not Performing What Was Requested

09/28/2010

Question:

My husband is afraid of the Dentist, he needs serious removal. I did get him to the Dentist and had told the Dentist prior to this visit to do it all at once because he would not come in again. He had to have his wisdom teeth out and told the Dentist to just take them all. They are all pretty bad. Needless to say the Dentist did not take them all out, he only too out the wisdom teeth. I want to know why the Dentist did not follow his wishes when he knew his teeth were bad and he would never get back in there again?

Answer:

I am very sorry for the disappointing dental experience your husband went through.

I can not answer for the dentists actions; there are a number of possible reasons for this occurring. Did your husband have the procedure explained to him prior to the extractions and options that were available to him?

His dental health and or medical health status could have determined the number of teeth removed at the time of surgery. Maybe full mouth extractions were not indicated, and that may have been the case with your husband.  The status of the existing teeth may have been normal and not require removing.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine