Dental and Oral Health Center

Criteria for Removing Multiple Rotting Teeth

09/30/2010

Question:

I would like to know the criteria dentist utilize to determine if a patient needs all of his teeth removed from rotting teeth. My husband has multiple rotting teeth and the dentist chose to only remove his wisdom teeth not the rotting teeth as well. He is afraid of the dentist and requested when he went in to have the dentist take them all out. My husband has no medical problems, but he does smoke.

Answer:

There are several criteria to determine if a patient should have all of his teeth removed. Your description of your husband's oral condition does not include near enough information to determine what his situation is. 

Have him make an appointment with his dentist to discuss what his alternatives are to restore his mouth to a disease free, functional, and an acceptable appearance condition. 

There are multiple ways that this can be done. The dentist will need current radiographs and a recent examination to determine your husband's choices. As dentists we try to save as many teeth as possible, as some people are unable to wear complete dentures. 
Unfortunately, their inability to tolerate the dentures is not determined until after the teeth are gone and the dentures inserted. That is why your husband needs to know his choices, how much the cost will be, and the advantages and disadvantages of each type of treatment. I hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry