Pharmacy and Medications

Mixing Medications

10/19/2010

Question:

I have just started taking 1 Body Beautiful tablets to help me lose weight. I exercise regularly and am also runnning about for work, but can`t seem to lose any weight. The tablets I am on are natural, but will they contraindicate my contraception pill Levlen ED?

Answer:

The brand name pill Body Beautiful contains L-carnitine, the active form of the nutrient carnitine. Carnitine is produced in the liver and kidneys to help transport fat to specific cells to be used in the generation of energy. Except in the case of a few medical conditions, our bodies are able to create enough carnitine to meet our needs without any help from foods or supplements. Any additional carnitine obtained through your diet or supplements will likely just be eliminated in your urine.

Carnitine tablets will not interact with any oral contraceptive. It is always a good idea to check with a healthcare provider before starting or stopping any medication, including vitamins, supplements, or herbals. It is also a good idea to include your healthcare provider in any weight loss program. Most supplements marketed for weight loss have little, if any, data to prove their efficacy. A healthy, well-balanced diet and a consistent exercise regimen remain the best way to safely and effectively lose weight.

Submitted by:
Jessi Davis
PharmD Candidate 2011
The University of Toledo College of Pharmacy

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Carmen M Hadley, RPh, CSPI
Clinical Instructor
College of Pharmacy