Digestive Disorders

Pain in Upper Right Abdomen and Back

10/25/2010

Question:

I have been suffering from abdominal pain for a few months now. The pain was a sudden on set and is located in upper middle part of my stomach and at times it is both my stomach and lower middle to right of my back. After a meal I have a very difficult time digesting my food. It feels like the food just sit in my stomach and I have to be very careful so that I do not regurgitate. My meals are small but it feel like I have eaten several meals at once.

I was hospitalized for three day with severe abdominal pain. The pain felt like spasm which would come every fifteen second and last for about 30 seconds. I have had a CT Scans, Ultrasounds, Nucelar Scan and an Endoscope. The Endoscope showed that I have minimal gastritis and the other test were normal. The doctor also sent a sample of the gastritis bacteria to the pathology lab and the result was negative. I have also had a HIDA scan and it came back normal. I have had so many test and they all just keep coming back negative. The doctors keep telling me there on a dead end road. What else could this pain be coming from? I also have minamul therdic syodisis of the spine. Could the two of these be cause my pain? Minimal gastritis and the therodic?

Can minimal gastritis cause this problem?

Answer:

It is difficult when all tests come out negative. May be a form of irritable bowel but I do not feel the gastritis is the cause. I do not know what your spine problem is so I cannot say if it has anything to do with your abdominal pain. The only thing I can think of is poor blood supply or intestinal migraines which is very difficult to diagnosis let alone treat.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine