Women's Health

Lump in breast that itches

10/28/2010

Question:

I am 17 years old. There are several lumps in my right breast nipple that are not hard-they are soft and squishy to the touch-but they are itchy. They have caused my whole breast to itch and become very red. The thickness of the skin around my nipple area has thickened.This does not hurt however it does itch. There is no swelling in my breast. I try not to scratch in hopes that it will simply go away. However, the lumps and itchiness have started to spread to my left breast. Is it possible that it might be some type of cancer?

Answer:

It is certainly hard to tell without seeing the rash and doing an examination. You should have a provider look at it as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you are not taking any medications like Beta Blockers (a kind of blood pressure pill)an ACE inhibitor (another drug for high blood pressure) a "water" pill like HCTZ, any kind of steroid, antibiotic, depression or anxiety medication you might try some Tinactin cream on it. It could be a yeast or fungal infection. Please check with your provider soon. There is no reason to be miserable. Hope this helps

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Professor of Clinical Nursing