Eye and Vision Care

Adies and Possible Related Symptoms

10/28/2010

Question:

I have Adies pupil, peripheral neuropathy and essential tremors, since these are all neurological disorders is it possible they are related?

Answer:

I am not an expert in systemic neurological disorders such as peripheral neuropathy and essential tremor, but a brief search of the literature explains the following:

The exact cause of essential tumor is not fully known at this time, but there is evidence that there is a genetic component. At this time a diagnosis is made by assessing symptoms and ruling out other neurological disorders.

Peripheral neuropathy is usually caused by an injury, infection, or a disease such as diabetes and may not be related to the essential tremors. 

Adie's pupil is most commonly caused by an idiopathic cause (meaning it cannot be isolated) and many times it will resolve.

All three conditions are neurological in nature, however there are distinct differences in the cause of each one of these conditions. It is possible that they could be related, but unlikely.

Please consult with your neurologist regarding these conditions.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry