Mouth Diseases

Mouth Concerns.....

10/26/2010

Question:

I have noticed a small black spot on the roof of mouth that has been there for a while. It does not hurt or anything, but it`s just there. For the past two days, the left side of my tongue has been hurting as tho I have been sucking it through my teeth. I looked at it this morning and noticed a small blister like sore that was red around the outside, and the middle has a white center. The rest of my mouth is normal and does notĀ appear to have any blemishes. Wut could this be?

Answer:

There are several reasons for black spots to develop in the mouth, including use of certain medicines or even cigarettes. Most mouth spots are benign and not serious, but there is one rare exception called oral melanoma that is related to the skin cancer of the same name.

Because of this unlikely possibility, I recommend you see your dentist or a dental specialist such as an oral and maxillofacial pathologist or surgeon for a personal consultation.

The red tongue lesion you are describing sounds similar to the condition known as transient lingual papillitis. Essentially, it is an inflamed taste bud (fungiform papilla). Although its cause is uncertain, local trauma or friction (like rubbing it against your teeth) is thought to contribute. It should heal by itself within 2-4 days. Additional information about this condition can be found at the link below.

Good luck!

Tongue/Tastebud Problems

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology