Parkinson's Disease

Fludrocortisone

10/19/2010

Question:

My husband is taking Fludracortisone to slightly increase his blood pressure because the Parkinson Medications lower his blood pressure so that when he stands up he gets light headed. My question is -- Is it okay to get a Flu Shot while taking Fludracortisone? I have read that one should be careful of vaccinations when taking this medication. The Pharmacist says it`s okay, but I wanted your opinion.

Answer:

Fludrocortisone is a steroid and can suppress a person's immune response which may elevate one’s risk of infection and complications from an infection. Caution is advised when obtaining a vaccination while on fludrocortisone and especially if on high doses as the lack of immune response may increase risk of complications. For every person, the risks of receiving a certain vaccination must be weighed against the risks of not receiving it. I suggest you discuss this further with your husband’s primary care doctor.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Punit  Agrawal, DO Punit Agrawal, DO