Problems Started after Root Canal

11/16/2010

Question:

Hi, I had a root canal done on the left top tooth.The tooth next to the front tooth.I had this done around the beginning of August. It took 2 visits to the dentist. After the 2nd visit I started to have pain down on the bottom left, right over where my wisdom tooth should have come up, they are Horizontally impacted. This pain has been there since but it did move to the upper teeth area for about two weeks mid Sept and then back to same area again. The pain is so bad I can barely stick it and I now feel sensations into the cheek tissue. Biting down on something used to help but doesnt anymore. I also dont feel it when I am eating. I also have Fibromyalgia. And also in the middle of orthodontic treathment as well. It`s a nerve feeling pain which has a stong spikey feeling to it. It`s constant and doesnt come and go. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Answer:

If you have questions regarding previous root canal treatments, you could seek an evaluation by an endodontist. Endodontists are dentists with additional education in diagnosis and root canal treatment. Because they limit their practices to endodontics, they treat these types of problems every day.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics