Eye and Vision Care

Fatigue

10/28/2010

Question:

I am frequently tired. It does not seem to be related to computer use. I have trifocals and my Opthalmologist tells me I am well corrected. I have heard that the type of plastics used in lenses can bother some people. I have been checked for low thyroid and my diabetes is under good control. Any ideas? thank you

Answer:

Not without examining you.

As a general rule, fatigue that occurs in the morning is not related to eyestrain. However, fatigue in the afternoon, especially if you do visually-demanding tasks like computer use or sustained driving could be caused by an eye problem.

Here are three things you can try:

1. See if you are as fatigued on the weekends as you are during the work week. If so, you probably have a systemic medical problem. If not, your symptoms are probably work- related.

2. Try working with only one eye (you can put scotch tape over one lens in your glasses; if you are right-handed, cover the left lens). If this relieves your fatigue, then you probably have a problem of both eyes focusing together.

3. Don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, and do drink 6-8 glasses of water each day to keep your skin and eyes moist.  Dehydration can cause fatigue.

I'm sorry I cannot provide a more definitive diagnosis for you over the internet. But thanks for visiting http://www.netwellness.org.  

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry