Pain after Root Canal

11/18/2010

Question:

...I have intermittent pain in one area of my mouth, even though the tooth area where I feel the pain has had a root canal and crown, as have both two teeth right next to it. This pain tends to be set off by eating even mildly sweet foods, even though I was told a root canal eliminates pain from sweetness.

Would you know what might be the cause? I`m not a grinder, as far as I know, and my general health is okay. My periodontist says my pocket depth in that area ia about 4 mm., and no more than that elsewhere, though it has been higher in the past. Would I benefit from root scaling and planing in that area? Or could it be an insufficient root canal? Or something else? I`d be grateful for your thoughts -- Thanks.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The link below will connect you to that information. 

Sweet Sensitivity and Root Canals

If you have questions regarding previous root canal treatments, you could seek an evaluation by an endodontist. Endodontists are dentists with additional education in diagnosis and root canal treatment. Because they limit their practices to endodontics, they treat these types of problems every day.  

Our Answer Policy

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics