Digestive Disorders

Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome

12/08/2010

Question:

I have been dealing with this for over a year now. I have questions that no one seems to be able to answer. My weight was down to 82 pounds last september. I have undergone all the testing a person would ever need. I have been to 2 surgeons who want to do sx release the sma from the duodenum, then take the 3rd distal portion and cut it at both ends, yes, genetic irregular angulations appx 6 degree, causing another partial blockage. then take the jejunum attch to stomach region also attching drains for pancreas; yada yada....My fear is with all of the clean cuts, adhesions will form. Creates a another worrisome blockage(s)~ so my question. What happens if I do Nothing. I am up to 110# Thanks to Remeron! I was told last week, I cant have my osteoporosis addressed till the GI is fixed. I am 50. I am not questioning if my bones will break, they are going to. So what should I do? My stomach is sooo extremely distended. Someone Please help...JJM

Answer:

This question is way to complex for a simple answer. There is such a thing as the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome. And in a definite case, surgery is the answer. The other operation must be for an additional issue an the "drains" sound like a diversion of the pancreatic duct. A thorough knowledge of all the anatomic abnormalities would be necessary before any meaningful discussion could be undertaken. When there is surgery there is risk of adhesions but fortunately these are NOT USUALLY a problem.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

D Roy Ferguson, MD D Roy Ferguson, MD