Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson Vibrations while Sleeping

11/02/2010

Question:

I have been diagnosed with PD. When I sleep, my whole body vibrates enough to completely shake a king-sized bed. My PD symptoms don`t seem to respond to medication. Could I be misdiagnosed? I have classic PD symptoms otherwise. The vibrations occur while I am awake also.

Answer:

Parkinson's disease is diagnosed clinically based on classic cardinal features of slowness/smallness of movement (bradykinesia), increased muscle tone (rigidity), tremor and loss of balance (postural instability). 

Vibration due to Parkinson's disease is likely due to tremor. However, the tremor in Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders stop during sleep. The tremor may be present when in bed prior to falling asleep and upon awakening with it appearing to persist during sleep. 

Another co-morbid condition called REM behavioral sleep disorder can cause kicking and thrashing during sleep which could be moving the bed. Another cause of vibration is also possible. I suggest you discuss this concern further with your treating health care provider.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Punit  Agrawal, DO Punit Agrawal, DO