Pharmacy and Medications

Effects of Taking Two Medicines Together

11/18/2010

Question:

I have pain sub sternam pain in my chest and causes of which has not been dectected yet. I was prescribed 1)Flupenthixol 0.5 mg and Melitracen 10 mg for my chest pain. I also have Piles (hammoroids in recter). For which, I was prescribed 1.Doismin 450 mg and hesperidin 50 mg.

Now I have taken Doismin and hesperidin (which are together) with Flupenthixol and Melitracen at the same time. Now after taking this two mecicine, I always have high blood pressure. My understanding is Doismin/hesperidin caused blood vessel to shrink and there by increase my blood pressure.

So My questions are 1. What can I take to nuetralize the effect of taking all this- Doismin/hesperidin/Flupenthixol/Melitracen together?

Answer:

Diosmin and hesperidin are citrus bioflavonoids used the treat hemorrhoids. The common side effects are upset stomach, diarrhea and headache. Neither diosmin nor hesperidins are known for causing an increase in blood pressure.

Melitracen and flupenthixol are used together for mental health in some patients. The common side effects are drowsiness, dry mouth, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea or constipation. The medicine can cause a slight increase in heart beat or heart palpitations, but doesn't generally cause an increase in blood pressure.

No interactions were found with these drugs.

It seems unlikely that your increase in blood pressure is caused by diosmin, hesperidin, melitracen and flupenthixol.

Please talk to your family doctor about your blood pressure as well as your chest pain. Continue looking for other causes for the symptoms.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Carmen M Hadley, RPh, CSPI
Clinical Instructor
College of Pharmacy