Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Tongue Biting while Chewing/Eating

11/16/2010

Question:

i m 50yrs old.i do bite tongue while chewing/eating very often. i have this problem for the last 5 years which has resulted a permanent wound on tongue top(little off set of right side) around 5 cm dia. please help me to stop this biting by ur advice or is there any medication to cure this very painful act.but i dont bite while sleep nor i ve any dental problems. my BP, HB and all basic body condition is normal. please help me to get rid off this habbit.

Answer:

There are many reasons that people bite their tongues. From the information you have given, it is not possible to give you a diagnosis. Ask your dentist to examine your tongue and your bite to rule out occlusion problems.

It is possible that your tongue has swollen from the biting of it. It might require you to eat slower or even have a liquid diet until the swelling goes away.

The most important thing you can do is to have a dental appointment and ask your dentist if there is anything seriously wrong. Then, follow their recommendations to fix your problem. Good luck!

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry