Pharmacy and Medications

Strep

12/16/2010

Question:

my 3 year old son was diagnosed with anal strep. he took a round of amoxicillin for 10 days. the rash on his bottom got better but did not completely go away. doctor then ordered another round of antibiotics, this time augmentin. my question is, since augmentin is a form of amoxicillin, will the bacteria respond to the new antibiotic or is it resistant to the amoxicillin?

Answer:

Augmentin contains two ingredients, amoxicillin and clavulanate (or clavulanic acid). The second ingredient blocks a form of resistance that Streptococcal species may develop to the penicillin class of antibiotics. There are several different forms of resistance, however, so there is not a guarantee that the Augmentin will work. However by blocking this most common form of resistance, the likelihood of the drug being effective is increased.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Michael  Ganio, PharmD Michael Ganio, PharmD
Clinical Applications Pharmacist
Wexner Medical Center