Multiple Sclerosis

11/23/2010

Question:

I cure a patient with multiple sclerosis, what kind of dental anesthesia can use for the patient with or without adrenalina

Answer:

I am sorry but I am not sure I understand your question. If you are asking what type of local anesthesia can be used for a patient with multiple sclerosis for dental treatment, any local anesthetic available is acceptable. Whether to use adrenaline or not is based more on the patient's cardiovascular status rather than the multiple sclerosis that can have a varied presentation.

MS is a central nervous system disease and does not affect the peripheral nerves per se. If the patient is having pain in the face, it should be remembered that Trigeminal Neuralgia can occur as a consequence of MS and should be included in the differential diagnosis of face and jaw pain. Although some dentists feel that amalgam restorations my cause or exacerbate the symptoms of MS, I know of no scientific evidence to verify this assumption.

I hope this helps answer your question.