Mouth Diseases

Small Lumps inside Gums

11/23/2010

Question:

I have been treated for the last 5 months for yeast infection with at least 4 different treatments. My tongue is pale white, my cheeks are swollen and red, my gums are red and I have small clusters of lumps in my gums beneath my lips top and bottom. Bottom is worse than top and they are mainly on the sides rather than the middle of my mouth although there are a few in the middle as well but they are more isolated and not clustered. they are not painful or oozing no sores . My mouth just feels like it is tight and sometimes like I just ate a persimmion Can you help me?

Answer:

While it would be impossible to say exactly what your problem is without doing an examination, what you are describing does not sound as if it would be a “yeast infection.” 

The white appearance of the tongue (also known as "coated tongue") is most likely an accumulation of keratin, the normal dead cells that the top of the tongue produces constantly. Sometimes the keratin is produced more quickly, and sometimes it's not knocked off and swallowed as much as it usually is.
The "lumps" you describe are undoubtedly the normal minor salivary glands of the upper and lower labial mucosa. (inner surface of the lips)

Without examining your "swollen and red" cheeks, a reasonable assessment cannot be made. Your symptoms, however, sound as if they could be consistent with a common, harmless (but annoying) problem called "burning mouth syndrome". More information about coated tongue and burning mouth syndrome can be found at the link below, but a definite diagnosis would require evaluation by an oral pathologist.

Oral Conditions - Information for Patients (AAOMP)

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology