Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Blister Back of my Tongue and Enlarge Tonsil

11/24/2010

Question:

I am having blister back of my tongue and few close to my right tonsil and my tonsils are also swollen little bit. pain in right tonsil. I went to see doctore he said its just virus it will go away itself. but now its been over a month and my condition is still the same.please help

Answer:

If it's been over a month, it is not likely to be a bacterial infection.  A virus also typically does not last that long.  Sometimes you can get an aphthous ulcer or cold sore in this location, and it can linger. 

It is also possibly the bumps you see are normal anatomic structures.  We have a row of bumps on the back of our tongue that house some of our taste buds. 

I suggest you consult an ENT physician who should be able to look in your throat and give you a diagnosis.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy