NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Tuesday, December 6, 2016
My physcian, surgeon have suggested that I withdraw from using HRT Mind you they have not given any guidelines as to how to do this. I am taking .3 premarin with 2.5 provera one day then the next .6 along with 2.5. How do you taper without totally becoming a nut case. thank you
There's no specific plan, but it should be a slow process. Here's what I recommend:
Change every 2-3 weeks, depending on how you feel:
1. skip one day (e.g. Sunday)
2. skip 2 days (e.g. Sunday and Thursday)
3. skip 3 days (e.g. Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday)
4. skip 4 days (e.g. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday)
5. skip 5 days (e.g. Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Saturday)
6. Skip six days (e.g. Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, & Saturday).
Then you're off.
If you use this plan for 2 weeks at a time, it would last about 3 months. That's not too long. If it's too fast, you can slow it down to 3 weeks at a time.
Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
College of Nursing
The Ohio State University