Mouth Diseases

Mouth and Tongue

12/02/2010

Question:

For the last 6 months I have been experiencing what feels like thickening or swelling of the inner cheeks. Also, my tongue feels thick or swollen and the taste buds are irretated like I burned them. The tip and sides of the tongue are red. There are no sores visible. I had a ear, nose, and throat specailist look at it and he found nothing. I also had blood drawn and nothing showed up. The systoms flare up for a while then subside. What would casue this?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. If an oral and maxillofacial pathologist is available, he/she would be good choice for an evaluation and any additional recommendations regarding management.

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Our Answer Policy

Burning Mouth Syndrome (AAOMP)

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology