Digestive Disorders

Stomach Nodules

12/08/2010

Question:

I had an EUS performed in June and November of this year. In June, a stomach nodule was discovered and measured either 5 or 7mm. In November, the nodule had grown to 11mm. As far as I know, no biopsy was done in November, but two biopsy were taken in June with normal results. Was told the nodule had no change, but growth is a change, right? I am to follow up in three months, but I am concerned with the growth. Also, I had gastric sleeve surgery in november 09. What could be causing the growth and should I be concerned? Is it normal to take a watch and see approach?

Answer:

It is difficult to say what is causing it but reassuring that the EUS done was normal and biopsies were normal. The growth to 11 mm is rather small and I would not be concerned. It is something to just follow and monitor and likely rebiopsy if growth continues. Having had a stomach surgery, it is very likely this growth is inflammatory in nature.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine